Lately I feel like I have been on a total Tex-mex kick and we have enjoyed lots of dishes like this Spicy corn and black bean salad. Seriously though, is there anything that goes better together than corn and black beans? I’m sure there are lots of things – but please don’t burst my bubble. Since I made this salad the first time, almost a month ago now, we’ve had it at least once a week (sometimes twice, even!).
Sadly I didn’t pick this salad so much for it’s flavours, but rather that I had some avocados to use up and had no idea what to do with them. It was my first time cooking/eating avocados and wanted to be sure that their flavours would be well masked if I didn’t like them. To think that in my mind I am NOT a picky eater! Well, the salad was a hit in our house and we made it again a couple of days later, which hopefully gives you an idea of its addictive qualities! The salad is a perfect side to any dish, but would be great with any grilled creations or even just on its own on top of some tortilla chips or just in a bowl with a fork! Seriously – best salad ever and is like summer in your mouth. We like it really spicy (2 Habaneros), but you can cut back or use jalapeno/bell peppers based on your preference.
If you, like me, are new to avocados this website will teach you everything there is to know about buying, storing, cutting/slicing/peeling and eating avocados.
- 18 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1¼ cups cooked and drained black beans (or 1 cans black beans drained and rinsed)
- 1 cucumbers (preferably English seedless, but any one will do)
- 1-2 fresh jalapenos or Habanero chile peppers (depending on heat preference)
- BIG handful fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- ¾ teaspoon minced garlic or garlic paste
- ¼ scant cup lime juice
- ⅛ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard (seems odd – but trust the recipe)
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- ⅛ cup canola or peanut oil (I reduced the oil considering from the original recipe – but you can add more if you wish)
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the corn. Stir the corn occasionally, cooking it until it is slightly smoky. Combine the corn and black beans in a large mixing bowl. Peel the cucumber, cut in half and scrape out the seeds in the middle. Cut the cucumber into long strips and cube and add into the corn mixture.
- Wear gloves and stem and seed the chili peppers. Thinly slice the peppers into strips and then turn and cut across to create tiny diced peppers. Add to the corn mixture. Pick off the cilantro leaves, wash thoroughly, and roughly chop the leaves before adding them into the corn mixture. Toss gently to mix.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add all the ingredients except the oil and shake well until everything is evenly mixed. Remove the lid, add the oil, replace the lid and shake again until the oil is mixed into the mixture. Pour over the dressing and mix in thoroughly.
- Just before serving, halve the avocado and remove the pit. Use a butter knife to cut the avocado, creating a grid (diced), and then scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Add to the salad, toss and serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for a day or two and will still taste great – however, the avocados will likely discolour.
Adapted from: Foodie with Family